Skip to main content

Do You Really Know What You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

skoolkidI suggest, probably no.
I didn't - although I thought I did.
Even worse, I listened to what other people thought and, foolishly, took their advice.
I mean, what do they know about me and my destiny?
There are so many factors to weight up that the single consideration of an ideal profession in the eyes of a 16 year-old or a 19 year-old doesn't have enough substance.
What do I mean by that?
In those days immediately after leaving school or college or university we are rather take with the idea of a "good profession", of a good income and, let's face it, what other people say.
A few years down the track, we become more drawn to a career we might enjoy, one that gives us satisfaction, where we might just look forward to getting up in the morning and facing the day.
What I learned in my life is that it's never too late to make the change.
In my case that meant bankruptcy of my freelance business but, in the long run, it was worth it.
More, it saved my sanity.
Do it now.

Neil
neilwjsmith.com

(Illustration by Jeff 'Wizard of Draws' Bucchino at www.cartoonclipart.com)
 

Popular posts from this blog

Beware The Big Bad Wolf

I'm sure you remember the story of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf. Suppose that Red represents the innocent child only recently born into the world and that her Grandma is her at the end of her life. She is heading through the woods which stand for life and all the dangers and troubles she will encounter. Now, here is the central concept of this book. Her purpose in visiting her Grandma. To deliver to her the basket of goodies. But along the way the Big Bad Wolf puts in an appearance and ends up replacing Grandma and in fact tries to impersonate her in her bed. The basket of goodies symbolises what Red was born with, her uniqueness, her special qualities and talents, her destiny - the ingredients for the goodies which are what she has made with her unique talents. By taking the basket of goodies through the forest - her life - to Grandma, Red at the end of her life, is she trying to tell us something no-one else is telling us? That we were no

10 Life Changing Questions About You

Changing ourselves can often be the crucial moment when we emerge a better person. With all the obvious benefits, like more friends, greater popularity, improved relationships, even a better job. It's all about you. It's entirely up to you. Here are 10 questions to ask yourself if you care about who you are, how you come across to others (including the opposite sex) and where you want to be in, say one year from now.  1. Do I really need to change? Today's generation has taken another level of redefining 'self', or at least that's what the kids are saying. Having an army of teenage nieces and nephews has taught me that there are far worse things that they could have had than acne or maybe even promiscuity. So how does that fit into your lifestyle . 2. What do I really want from life? The question of the ages. So many things you want to do with your life and so little time to even go about during the day. Find something that you are good a

What Are You To Do With Your Life?

It seems to me that it's a question on pretty much everyone's mind. Everyone alive wants answers. And it seems to me that we've largely failed to provide adequate answers. Not the politicians. Not our traditional religions. Certainly not our friends. Or the social media where so many look for answers to their day-to-day problems. Definitely not the media or the daily news bulletins or the endless current affairs programs designed to be giving us a balanced view of life and the world we are living in. What about the popular glossy magazines with, supposedly, all the answers to the dilemmas of our lives? I don't think so. We've surely been let down somewhere along the line. Look at the suicide rate, the depression, the mental illness and, indeed, the disillusionment with our modern world. Am I being too harsh? Well, maybe all is not doom and gloom, because in contrast to the picture I've painted here I've learned from life that we've been looki